Fielder Church began partnering with Zach Van Veldhuizen in 2019 when our Missions Pastor met him at Southwestern Seminary. Zach and his family moved up to Brooklyn in May of 2019 to go through an intensive residency program with a local church in the area. During that residency, Zach met Chaz & his wife Marquita (last picture) and joined their churches together in February of 2020, not knowing that in March of 2020 COVID-19 would shut everything down. With their residency abruptly stopping because of the pandemic, they quickly shifted to meeting virtually as a church and seeking wisdom & direction from the Lord through prayer & fasting. They were hosting bible studies, church online, & trying to stay connected and grow as a new church plant.
Once things started opening up a little bit, their church began meeting outside in a park nearby – seeing nearly 20 families (with lots of kids!) start attending their gatherings. Zach & Chaz are both evangelists & love people well – and have found going out and playing basketball in a park close by and hosting basketball tournaments has been such an effective way to do outreach in their community! They also pass out meals & host BBQ gatherings to bless their community.
They have seen miracle after miracle of the Lord providing for them financially, with a facility to meet at, and with people of peace! They have seen a Buddhist man come to faith in Jesus, they’ve baptized several, and their congregation looks like a glimpse of heaven with people from 15+ countries represented.
Right now, they have a core group of 25 people that weekly attend their church! They also have weekly connect & grow groups to deepen community & discipleship within their church!
God is opening doors as they humbly rely on Him through prayer and fasting. It is a blessing to be a part of how God is expanding His kingdom in Brooklyn through the Borough Church.
Pray for this church plant:
- For my family as we look to build relationships with people in Brooklyn.
- That the Lord continues to teach us to be servants to our community and to faithfully live out the gospel each day.
- That the Lord will bring willing people to the churches in Brooklyn who desire to share the gospel and serve the community.
- For us as a family, for our marriage, and for the people with whom we partner in Brooklyn.
- That we may strive to be like Jesus and resist the devil in the power of the Holy Spirit.
- For boldness in proclaiming the gospel.